Ridgecrest loves pumpkin, so in October we had a contest to see who could make the most delicious pumpkin-based treat! Here’s the winner:
Scott’s Pumpkin Pastry
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup butter
• 1⁄2 cup water
• 3 large eggs
• 3⁄4 cup sugar
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1⁄2 tsp salt
• 1 egg beaten
• 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
• 1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
• 1 15oz can of 100% pumpkin puree
• 4 oz evaporated milk
1. In a large bowl, cut room temperature butter into flour until the mixture has a crumb-like texture. Make a well in the center, add cold water. Mix until it forms a ball. Do not over-mix. Chill dough in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
3. While dough is chilling, blend pumpkin puree, 2 eggs, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Slowly stir in evaporated milk.
4. Divide dough into 4 parts and roll into 15-inch strips. Place filling along the center of each long strip of dough. Roll up and pinch the ends to seal. Place strips 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Brush with a beaten egg (the 3rd egg), and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.