We often express our love to family, friends and significant others but forget to include ourselves, which can weaken the immune system and make us more susceptible to illness and disease. When we love and respect ourselves, we tend to eat healthier foods and make better lifestyle choices that promote good physical and mental health. Physical, emotional and mental health have been closely linked to each other, so by loving the self, it creates a positive attitude.
A positive attitude is also a large factor in maintaining good health. Our beliefs and thoughts are wired into our biology. They become our cells, tissues and organs. There's no supplement, no diet, no medicine and no exercise regimen that can compare to the power of our thoughts and beliefs. Cultivating self-love and positive perceptions can be done in a number of ways. Here are a few techniques that will help change your life:
- Make your health a priority. Nourish your body with nutritious foods, exercise regularly, stretch and pamper your mind, body & soul. Let go of your thoughts on what you envision as imperfections. Instead focus on the things you like about you!
- Protect yourself. Maintain a healthy perspective toward people that drain you mentally and physically. Take whatever measures necessary to protect yourself against the negative effects they might have on you.
- Learn that it’s okay to say NO. We often create unneeded stress in our lives by saying yes to things when we haven't given ourselves time to recharge from our daily lives. We also say yes to things that aren't in alignment with our highest good. It is okay to say NO to anything or anyone that drains us and makes us see the world negatively.
- Forgive yourself. You aren't perfect and that is perfectly okay. Remember that nobody is perfect. Before you can love yourself, you must forgive yourself and love yourself exactly as you are, flaws and all.
- Have an attitude of gratitude. Make a list of things about yourself and your life that you are grateful for. Appreciate your uniqueness and you will learn to love yourself.
Back to Herb Nerds Blog